I was sitting with her family yesterday and praying with them as my heart and mind reflected on how uncertain life can be. The apostle Paul said, “…while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:18)
Think about that. Everything we own, every material thing we value, all our belongings, our status, our careers, even our health is temporary. Everything about us can change and become irrelevant in an instant.
Do you remember the parable Jesus told of the rich landowner whose land was so productive that he tore down his old barns and built new ones to hold all his produce?
He said to himself after his massive renovation project, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry” (Luke 12:19).
Remember what God said to him?
“You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?” (Luke 12:20)
In the very next verse following the man’s statement about security, his circumstances abruptly changed and everything he had worked so hard to store and maintain became irrelevant. Nothing in this life is 100% certain. Your life can change before you can blink your eyes, just like that man’s did who owned the barns and just like Alma’s did yesterday.
Here’s a good verse to remember when things change around you: “For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.” (2 Corinthians 5:1)
There are some things, Praise God, that never change, things that last forever:
- Heaven is changeless – “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-26)
- God’s word never changes – “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever.” (Isaiah 40:8)
- Love never ends – “But now faith, hope, love abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13:13)
- God’s plans are perfect and never fail – “The Lord of hosts has sworn saying, ‘Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand.’” (Isaiah 14:24)
- Jesus Christ is forever – “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8).
It did me good to look at these verses again this morning and renew my trust that everything about God is sure and changeless. In Him, there is no east or west, no north or south. I can trust Him even though everything around me is temporary and subject to change. I am praying for Alma today in the truth, that our changeless God will hold her tight in His almighty, safe, and secure hands. I believe He truly is able to accomplish His plan and bring her back to us.