There are 10 big lies the devil is telling right now. We need to listen to what the Bible says about these lies rather than what Satan wants us to hear:
- It’s All About You – Take care of number one because if you don’t, no one else will. This lie makes you self-centered and ego-centric. God’s word says, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it”(Luke 9:23-24). The world’s lie is “save yourself.” The Bible’s truth is, “give yourself away.”
- A Little Overspending Won’t Hurt You – You can always use plastic. This lie puts you in debt and gives power over you to creditors. The Bible says, “The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower becomes the lender’s slave” (Proverbs 22:7). Jesus added great wisdom to our wise management of finances, “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money” (Matthew 6:24). Greed is not OK no matter what the world wants you to think.
- Righteousness is Not as Necessary as it Once Was – Go ahead and do it, you can always ask for forgiveness. If righteousness is not important to God, then the blood of Jesus was shed in vain. The Bible says, “…if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7). Think about righteousness as Light. Jesus lived in the Light of God’s righteousness. He is the Light of the world. Light drives the dark night of sin away. The Bible says, “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” (Proverbs 14:24). The world’s lie says that it’s OK to live in the shadows. Don’t believe it. Righteous living is still the quality God expects from us.
- You Can Say Whatever You Think – Truth is whatever I want it to be. Truth is not determined by popular opinion or by the voice of the majority. Jesus prayed, “Sanctify them in the truth; Your world is truth” (John 17:17). Just because you think it or just because you say it, does not make it truth. Truth belongs to God and His truth stands in contrast to the world’s lies. The Bible tells us to control our tongues, “…the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell” (James 3:6). Remember, “Lying Lips Sink Ships.”
- It’s a Free Country, So Do or Don’t Do Whatever You Please – It’s All About My Personal Freedom. The Bible says, “There are six things which the Lord hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, and lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, a false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers” (Proverbs 6:16-19). People are not free to do whatever they please. Freedom comes through responsibility. Jesus said, “…if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed” (John 8:36). Freedom is given to those who love Jesus and serve Him, not to people who do whatever they want. You are free to do what Jesus wants. Your wants need to agree with His wants.
Next week I will give you’re the remaining 5 lies the world wants you to believe. Don’t believe them. Let the truth of God’s word guide you. Remember what the Bible says, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path” (Psalm 119:105).