- “…observe your chaste and respectful behavior, your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair and wearing gold jewelry or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God” (1 Peter 3:2b-4). The Bible is talking about the jewel of the Christian home. It describes for us the quality of a Godly wife and mother.
- “Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future. She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her…” (Proverbs 31:25-28). A godly mother is a rich blessing to her children and family.
- “Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate” (Psalm 127:3-5). Children reveal the quality of a mother’s soul. Children show the world how precious a godly mother really is.
- “And Mary said, ‘My soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior, for He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; for behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. For the Mighty One has done great things for me; and holy is His name’” (Luke 1:46-49). God sees and rewards the beauty of a mother’s humble spirit. God knows the value of a mother’s humble heart.
- “My son, observe the commandment of your father and do not forsake the teaching of your mother; bind them continually on your heart; tie them around your neck. When you walk about, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk to you” (Proverbs 6:20-22). A mother’s teaching will stay with you always. Your mother’s counsel will never let you down.
There is no doubt that God looks upon godly Mothers as the solid foundation upon which He builds His kingdom in this world. Today’s culture does not appreciate the true quality of a Christian mother, but God does. Many of the things’ mothers do for their families go unnoticed and unappreciated. Remember, God sees everything and knows the value of all mothers. He knows every contribution and every sacrifice they make for the good of their spouses and children.
Elizabeth George defines who godly mothers are: “What is a godly mother? A godly mother is one who loves the Lord with all her heart, mind soul and strength and then passionately, consistently, and unrelentingly teaches her child to do the same.”
My mother went back to school after I graduated from high school to learn to be a nurse. She worked third shift at Memorial Hospital in Nashville to pay my college tuition so I could become a minister of the gospel. Thank you, mom, for your passionate, consistent and unrelenting love and sacrifice for me. I pray you are happy with what your influence, manner and spiritual character has fashioned me to become. Robbie told me just the other day, “Your mother was a godly mother.” I said, “Yes, I know, and she inspired me to marry a godly mother.” Godly mothers beget godly mothers.