With all these positives about children in scripture, some disturbing news was reported this week. Through internal research, Facebook has discovered that their social media platforms lead to increases in teenage anxiety, depression, and suicide among young girls.
The Bible tells us that having children is the good, right, fruitful, and pleasing thing to do. Social media, on the other hand, turns what is right and good into something that is dark and destructive.
The Bible tells us that there are several important things about our children we should know:
- Children are to be conceived inside the bonds of marriage – “God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. God blessed them; and God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it…’” (Genesis 1:27-28a). Having children outside of marriage is not in keeping with God’s plan. The right way is for husbands and wives to bear children.
- Fathers and mothers are to provide for their children – “…for children are not responsible to save up for their parents, but parents for their children” (2 Corinthians 12:14). Parents caring for, protecting, supervising, nurturing, shielding, and educating is the right way to go. No one can do for a child what a parent is called to do.
- Parents are to instruct their children – “For He established a testimony in Jacob and appointed a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers that they should teach them to their children” (Psalm 78:5). Parents are responsible for teaching their children the things of God. Teaching the Bible to your children is always right. Taking children to church is right. Praying with your children is right. Facebook, Instagram, and Tik-Tok do what is profitable, not what is right.
- It is the job of parents to discipline their children – “Discipline your son while there is hope, and do not desire his death” (Proverbs 19:18). The undisciplined life is short-lived. Good discipline starts at home and continues throughout one’s lifetime. Learning to live a controlled and stable life is the right thing in God’s eyes.
- Children are to be encouraged – “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4). Pointing children in the right direction is always encouraging. Leading them is better than pushing them. Children will follow when they are encouraged.
I guess you can see that raising children to be obedient takes time and energy. Obedience is more than words and conversations. It starts at home and builds upon what husbands and wives are committed to show their children every day. We must never allow social media to assume or take over that which God has put in the hands of moms and dads to do. Facebook will not, cannot, and does not raise obedient children.